Sunday, November 25, 2012

Healthy Cinnamon Roll Pancakes




Breakfast is my weak spot. I love all breakfast foods....
well except red or white patties I was given in Ireland....NO THANK YOU
(If you know what these are I hope you understand my displeasure, if you don't know what they are, be thankful.
I mean go you, person who likes clotted blood. Go, you.) 

As for the rest of it:
Eggs? Yes please
Fruits? Any!
Oats? All!
Dairy? Which form!
Coffee? Did you have to ask?
Breads? You mean that piece of heaven? OF COURSE!

Unfortunately my soft spot for breakfast foods can come at a high calorie price. 
With syrups, decadent pastries, and carb-o-liciousness it can be hard for a healthy foodie. 

BUT, when my eye fell upon Cinnamon Roll Pancakes I couldn't resist. 
So I made it my goal to find a way to make them healthy and delicious!

SUCCESS. 

What did I do?
I used my greek yogurt pancake recipe for the less carbs and made up a cinnamon swirl mixture for the filling for the less calories!
 But go ahead top them with the cream cheese glaze, we're all about a little fat here.

My husband, the Cinnamon Roll lover of my life, approved and it was a go.
I hope you enjoy them too!

Ingredients: 

Pancakes
1/2 cup flour (1/4 cup whole wheat, 1/4 cup all-purpose)
1 large egg
3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1 tsp baking soda,
1 tsp vanilla

Cinnamon Swirl Mixture
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tsp honey
1/2 tbs cinnamon

Cream Cheese Glaze
2-3 oz softened cream cheese
2/3 cup powdered sugar
3 tbs milk (I used almond milk which made it have a little almond taste. I LOVED IT!)


Directions: 

Make the cinnamon swirl mixture first by whisking all ingredients in a small bowl and then transferring them into a plastic bag with a tip. Place bag in cup (you'll be using this as a storing place in between swirling to control mess) and set aside. 

Make cream cheese glaze next by heating up milk on medium heat in a small sauce pan, add cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat and let cool.
 *OPTIONAL. Let cool and then transfer into a small plastic bag with a tip for easier/less messy icing later. 

Heat large skillet or griddle on medium or even medium-low heat. (Less heat means more time, but less burn later)
Mix yogurt and egg first in a small bowl until mixture is a pale yellow, hardly any bumps. Add vanilla. 
Mix flour, baking soda together in a large bowl, then add wet mixture into dry. Stir with a spatula until well combined.

Scoop about 1/4 cup mixture into skillet or on griddle and smooth out to make a round pancake. 
I scooped with an ice cream scoop and used the back of it the help round/flatten the mixture in the pan. 

Let cook for 30-45 sec, or until you see bubbles beginning to form--NOT POPPING, JUST BEGINNING.

Take cinnamon swirl mixture and cut a tiny tip off the edge of bag. Gently squeeze mixture out of the clipped-tip end in a circular motion, from the inside out. 3 rounds should do it. Place bag back in cup.


Let sit for another 30-45 sec until bubbles have formed and mostly all popped

Gently wiggle spatula under pancake and flip quickly.

Let sit for 30-45 more sec. 

NOW this is the tricky part, at least it was for me. 
I attempted to re-flip it onto a plate with the spatula and this caused everything to mush together, so I gently edged around the pancake with the spatula,to loosen the cake, and then picked up the pan and dumped the cake onto a plate, it came off with ease with swirl side up perfection. 

Use a damp paper towel or washcloth and wipe off any left over cinnamon swirl mixture on the pan/griddle and repeat the process until mixture is gone!

Drizzle cream cheese glaze onto the pancakes or top with your favorite fruit or syrup. 


ENJOY!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment