Monday, May 20, 2013

Whole Wheat Flax Pita Bread

 

I love pita bread.



I buy it every 2 weeks and fill it with all kinds of concoctions, my favorite being almond butter mixed with greek yogurt and honey, topped with half a banana. SO GOOD.

Any who, I went to go pick up my favorite heart-healthy flax and oat pita, but the store didn't have any!!! I was so upset. I looked and looked, and asked, and they looked, no luck.
So I figured, this just mean it's time to make my own.

I have several pita recipes booked marked, and most of them are the same, and pretty simple:  Flour, salt, yeast, and oil with maybe some sugar. 

I pulled up three of my favorite recipes (with pictures of course) and started to bake away.

Of course I used my bread machine to do the mixing, and of course I wanted to make my own recipe so I adjusted a few things, but they worked, poofed a little--I think its because I used a stone ground whole wheat--harder to break down--, and are ready to devoured.


Ingredients: 
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp active yeast or rapid rise yeast
1 tsp honey
1 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs flax seed, ground
1 1/4 cup water, divided

Directions:
bread machine, dough cycle. add water if dough is not sticking together after 4 min or so.


preheat 450 F.  with pan in the oven.
pull out onto floured surface. separate into 8 balls.
roll out into thin disks.


Flip disks on pan and bake for 3 min until poofed

place and cover with a clean towel and while you cook the rest.






You may have to gently cut into the pockets if not all parts poofed up.

ENJOY!!!


 P.S. These will last about 3-5 days in THE FRIDGE and about 2 months in the freezer. DON'T LEAVE THEM OUT, they mold quickly...I learned that the hard way.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment