Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chili Verde Enchiladas



Growing up, my mama, who learned all of her cooking from my very Hispanic grandmother, used to make this relatively easy, traditional Hispanic dish for us. 
On those days the world was a little better of-a place.
If you've read my other posts you'll have noticed I love spicy food.
I thank my mother for this.
If I can add had a zing here or there for some kick in the bite, I will do it.

So naturally this was a favorite dish of mine. 

However, as much as I love love love  my mom's full fat, deliciously cheesy and creamy dish I adjusted her recipe for this healthy-conscience foodie.

****The recipe calls for a cream of chicken, and rather than buy the processed can stuff I made my own thanks to milehimama homemade version****

Cream of Chicken:
Creates about 1 cup
2 tbs butter (I used Parkay)
2 tbs all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 cup chicken broth (I quartered a bullion cube and melted it with boiling water)

Melt butter in a pan on Medium heat, then whisk in flour, 1 tbs at a time until paste. Slowly whisk in milk, then broth. Keep whisking and heating until desired thickness--the more you heat the thicker it gets.

Ingredients for Enchiladas:

12 corn tortillas
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked (I used 3 large)
1 can green chilies (4 oz)
1 can green enchilada sauce
1/4 cup green onion (I omitted because my husband doesn't like onion very much)
1-2 jalapeno peppers
prepared cream of chicken
salt and pepper to taste
Shredded Mexican cheese mix 
sliced Olives (optional)

Directions: 
Bring chilies, enchilada sauce, and cream of chicken to boil.
 
Meanwhile, shredded chicken with a fork or fingers

When sauce is boiling, add salt, pepper, green onion, and jalapeno. Boil for 1 min.
Turn heat to low.


Dip out 1/2-3/4 cup sauce and put aside. 


Add shredded chicken to remaining sauce and simmer 10-15min.

Preheat oven 350 degrees.

Dip one side of tortilla in chicken sauce mix, lay sauce side down in a 9x13 pan. Fill non-sauce side with 2-3 spoon fools of mixture, pinch of cheese, olives--if you're having them,  and roll tortilla, seam side down. Repeat until pan is full.

Take the 1/2-34 sauce and drizzle over the top of rolled tortillas and then sprinkle with shredded cheese and extra olives if you have them.

Bake 20 min, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.




Serve with some Spanish rice and top with plain Greek yogurt!

Enjoy!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment