Sunday, November 18, 2012

Apple Vinaigrette Dressing






I like salad dressing but not the heavy stuff, with the exception of the ranch dressing at mine and my husband's favorite steak house in California; there is just something special in that.....

Anyways, we usually only have one jar of Wishbone Fat Free Italian dressing in our fridge, which usually does the trick. 
Light and Tangy. 

However, I was needing a little kick to my salad and thought of a vinaigrette. After looking at the store dressings and turning down every jar because of the UNBELIEVABLE AMOUNT OF SODIUM and preservatives, I thought "Hey, I can make my own."

So this recipe is adapted from foodpluswords.com. 
She has some great recipes that are simple and healthy. 

Her dressing is an apple cider vinaigrette, however, I didn't have apple cider so I used apple juice--no sugar added. 

WHAT A TREAT!

After tasting this vinaigrette I vowed to try--key workd here--making my own dressings. 

WAY cheaper, and WAY WAY WAY healthier. 

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup apple juice (or apple cider)
1/4 pure olive oil
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
2 tbs agave (or honey)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
ground pepper to taste


Directions:

Mix everything, but the olive oil in a small bowl or Jar. ( I just used the jar so I didn't dirty another dish). Then slowly add in 1 tbs at a time olive oil and whisk/swirl the mixture constantly around until it thickens.

DONE! 

You now have a lightly sweet, tangy, perfect kick-of-a dressing. 
~ 8oz  
Store in the fridge and it may settle and separate so just give it a good shake before each use.




ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment