Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tuna Cakes w/ Greek Yogurt Chipotle Sauce

 

Why have I never cooked tuna? 


I usually just make it for a salad or a sandwich but that just included mixing it with other ingredients cold. BUT COOKING IT? It's like adding a whole new level of flavor.
I must admit I am not a fan of seafood in general--I know some of you gasped-- but it's very slowly growing on me. A little bite of sushi here, a little taste of salmon there; but really it's only tuna.
HOWEVER,
Tuna cakes are now one of my favorite go to meals and seriously SO EASY!!!!!

The idea for this recipe came from Skinnymom.com. An awesome blog of mom Brooke who shares her journey as a mom who wants to live fit and healthy.

I adapted the recipe based on the ingredients in my kitchen and seriously it couldn't be simpler.


Ingredients:
1 5oz can of tuna in water
2 1/2 tbs egg whites
1 tbs spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup brown puff rice cereal (or rolled oats or bread crumbs)
2 tsp dried onions (or 1/4 cup fresh onion if you prefer)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt

Chipotle  Sauce
2 tbs greek yogurt
1/2 tsp chili powder + more if desired. 
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions: 
Heat a small skillet on Medium heat and spray with olive oil spray--I used my misto! 
drain as much water from tuna as possible. Pat dry tuna with a paper towel (the dryer the tuna the firmer the cakes) 
Mix tuna, egg whites, mustard, and spices in a small bowl. 
Form two equal cakes--I used my hands. 
And place on heated skillet. Feel free to shape patty as you cook if it falls a part.
Let sit on one side for ~4 min and then flip. Repeat and continue flipping every minute or two until cake is a nice golden brown. I found it helpful to press on the patty with a spatula while it was cooking to let any extra water inside the cake cook out. 

While cakes are cooking, 
Mix greek yogurt, and spices in a small bowl. Taste and season as desired. 

When cakes are done place over a nice bed of leafy greens and top cakes with a dollop of chipotle sauce. 

ENJOY!!!!
Nutrition Information: 
2 cakes w/out sauce
158 cal * 7 carbs * 1 fat * 30g protein * 0g fiber

 Sauce:
33 cal * 2 carbs * 0g fat * 3g protein * 0 fiber


 

6 comments:

  1. Made these tonight! Used 1 egg instead of egg whites and used oats. Made a dill greek yogurt sauce. AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted the recipe I made on my blog! Here is the link :) http://wp.me/p3S5v6-yP

    ReplyDelete