Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spaghetti Squash: Coolest Veggie EVER

I was waaaaay too excited making this dish. 
Honestly, I felt like a 6th grader doing a science experiment. 
Spaghetti squash is the new "food to eat", right next to quinoa. 
I have seen countless recipes pop up over the last few months using this amazing gourd but I was skeptical about the processes and was sure my husband would not "lick" the plate like many bloggers had exclaimed theirs had.

And it was true. He didn't really like it, he ate it, but didn't get more.
 I licked the plate, and then got more. I'm hooked. 
My husband said it's because it has a "bite" to it, a "crunch" that traditional noodles don't have and he couldn't get past it, (personally, I think it was just the fact that it was pure vegetable on his plate--a VERY rare occasion) but it me, it's just another noodle version.

I know it is not supposed to be a replacement for the lovely grain, but I was still so impressed by it's magical ability to turn from gourd to string noodles and the "bite" was extra bonus. I love a good CRUNCH in my food! 

(Now, I did read that if you bake it for over an hour the "noodles" get softer, but I have yet to try it
So know, that this amazingly awesome vegetable may not suit everyone's palate, but if anything, YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT ONCE. 

Cook it and be amazed.

The following recipe is for traditional spaghetti squash noodles with homemade sauce:

Ingredients: 

Noodles
1 large Spaghetti Squash
1/2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce
1 4oz can of tomato paste
4oz of water + more if you you want a thinner sauce
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 of a medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
pinch of red pepper flakes

Directions: 
Wash the outside of the squash, then take a large knife and puncture it ~10 times around the gourd.
Place the entire squash in the microwave, reduce power level to 70% and cook for 12 min.

When done, the squash should still be firm to touch but give/leave a mark on the outside skin when pushed. 

Carefully remove squash and let cool on the counter for 10ish min. 


Start sauce.
In a sauce pan heat 1 tsp olive oil on medium heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until clear. 
Add garlic and let cook for 1-2 min. Add tomato paste and water and bring to a simmer. Add in spices hen let sit for 10 min. Reduce heat to low and serve when ready. 

Once Squash has cooled to touch, cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and pulp (the darker colored strings). 
Now take a large fork and start scrapping parallel to the the squash until you can scrape no more. Noodles should be forming! 
--I did the scraping inside of a skillet because that was where i was going to place it next but you can scrape it into a bowl if that is easier-- 
Place created noodles into a skillet on low heat and drizzle 1 tsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to personal taste. 

You can either add sauce to noodles now or just top noodles with sauce later. 

Sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese and/or pair it with some turkey meatballs

ENJOY!!!!


Nutritional Information:  Spaghetti Squash 
1 cup 
49 cal * 10g carbs * 0g fat * 1g protein * 2g fiber

Sauce: 
1/4 cup-THICK
51 cal * 9g carbs * 0g fat * 3g protein * 2g fiber




No comments:

Post a Comment