Sunday, March 24, 2013

Quinoa Pizza Bites

This was an all-around "oops to yummy" recipe. 
 

I made this dish from Fit for Success and enjoyed every bite before I realized I had made a mistake. 


I went to enter the recipe into myfitnesspal to get the nutritional  information and didn't understand how my calorie count was SO far off from Fit for success'!
I went back to the original post and found my error. 

Her ingredients state: 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa. What did I do? Used only 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa. 
If you have ever made quinoa you know uncooked quinoa more than doubles when cooked so I was defiantly lacking in amount. --I did wonder why mine didn't fill the 24 pockets of the muffin tin like hers did but I was so focused and getting these made so I could eat them I just thought I had made mine too big. In the end, this oops just means I got to eat them all.

Now not knowing I had made a significant lower calorie meal I wanted to add turkey pepperoni to my bites regardless, and man or man am I glad I did. 

However, I had originally planned to chop up the pepperoni and blend it into the original mix, but I forgot until they were half way through baking. Yet again, this oops turned into a delicious treat as I decided to top each bite with a slice of pepperoni--held on by some melted cheese--and these were like perfect mini bites of pizza--pepperoni in every bite--without the fat, grease, and heavy carbs and filled with lots of protein, and delectable flavor. 

Make them and then eat them all! 


Recipe adapted from Fit for Success
Ingredients: 

1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup egg whites
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded 
1/2 cup onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs basil 
1 tsp oregano 
1/4 tsp garlic powder
20 slices of turkey pepperoni 


Directions: 
Preheat oven 350 F.
Spray a mini muffin tin--24 count--with olive oil spray
Mix all but the pepperoni in a bowl. 
Spoon 1 tbs of mix into 20 of the muffin compartments. 
Press the mixture down so its nice and packed in. 

Bake for 20 min or until tops have a light golden edge. 

Remove from muffin tin and  sprinkle a tiny bit of cheese on top of the hot bites and press one slice of pepperoni per bite. 
I then microwaved 10 bites for 30 sec. to make sure the cheese was good and melted and to cook the pepperoni a bit. 


Serve with a side salad and homemade marinara sauce for dipping! 


Enjoy!!!!

Nutrition Information
10 bites with pepperoni
 202 cal * 15 carbs * 10g fat*  17g protein * 3g fiber
10 bites without pepperoni 
161 cal * 15 carbs * 7g fat * 12 protein * 3g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment