Friday, September 21, 2012

Lemon Zucchini Loaf



It all started with a zucchini. It came into my possession one Saturday morning while roaming the vendor aisles of the farmers market. I thought to myself, "Hey, its zucchini season and I've seen a LOT of Pinterest posts that use the stuff so why don't I buy one large one and make something fantastic". 

Well the sad part of the story is I couldn't make up my mind. There were TOO MANY options such as: Zucchini chips, zucchini bites, normal delicious zucchini bread or muffins...the list is endless. Unfortunately,  my inability to decide led to the ends of the large zucchini to go mushy. :( So when it came down to it I had about 1 cup's worth of grated zucchini and we all know the main ingredient in zucchini bread (besides the flour) is the zucchini (I mean, it named after it!) 
So that was out, so were the bites, and the chips would have only been about a handful. So I looked for other options....and thus I found this recipe! It called for ONE CUP of GRATED ZUCCHINI. 
I know, I know, the stars were aligned in my favor. 
So now I am going to share it with you!



Lemon Zucchini Loaf with Lemon Glaze
 slightly adapted from nancycreative.com

Ingredients: 
Makes one 9×5″ loaf
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (I didn't have butter milk, but I did THIS and it turned our just fine!)
  • Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 Tablespoons lemon juice)
  • Zest of 1 lemon (Since I used lemon juice I didn't do this. Turned out lemon-y enough for me!)
  • 1 cup grated zucchini (you don’t need to peel the zucchini before grating it) 

 Lemon Glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tbs lemon juice
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Non-stick a 9x5" pan with whatever you'd like; set aside.
In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a smaller bowl mix eggs, sugar, yogurt and oil. Then mix in butter milk, and lemon juice until well combined. 
Slowly mix in wet ingredients into dry and stir till well combined. 
Gently fold in zucchini, but don't over mix.

Pour batter evenly into pan and bake for 45 min or until toothpick comes out clean.

Take out of pan and place on a cooling rack. Now make the glaze.

whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. 

Once loaf has cooled to touch pour over loaf. let sit or refrigerate for best "hardening" results. 





Slice, Serve, and ENJOY!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment