Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Healthy Chicken Parmesan



I'm all about the "nothing is off limits" rule for dieting because for me that is deprivation and my body just wants it more if I deny it.... 

So I found a healthier way to eat this normally FAT and CARB loaded dinner




for easy cost of only 255 cal a piece of chicken: smothered in bread, sauce, and cheese...I know, just trust me and read on...


Healthy Chicken Parmesan


adapted from Feedingmytemple.com
Ingredients:
  • (4) 4oz chicken breasts thawed
  • 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs  (I just used plain and seasoned myself with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and paprika)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (if you did what I did above add if you like the extra taste!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings (same....add if you want extra)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (make sure if using fresh they are grated small...I had to break mine into small pieces)
  • 1 1/2-2 tbsp butter, melted  (I used Parkay...you can use 2 egg whites to sub)
  • 3/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese (OR just more Parmesan. that's what I did)
  • 1 cup marinara or your favorite spaghetti sauce (Again I made my own with tomato paste, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.)
  • cooking spray ( used our MISTO!)
Directions:

Preheat oven to 450°.
 Line large baking sheet with foil (easy clean up) and spray lightly with cooking spray.

Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and Italian seasonings in a bowl. Melt the butter in the microwave in another bowl (this is usually melted after about 20 seconds, so watch it closely.) If using egg whites just place in bowl. Lightly brush the butter or egg whites onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb/cheese mixture. 

Place on baking sheet and repeat with the remaining 3 pieces of chicken.

Lightly spray a little more cooking spray on top (this makes it nice and crispy) and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. 
 Remove chicken from oven and spoon sauce over each piece and top with mozzarella or Extra Parmesan cheese and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

ENJOY!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment