Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pop-able Black Bean Brownies

 

I love small, pop-able, treats. My mind works in the sense that if I can have more of one thing it's more satisfied. So mini versions of food are a go-to thing. 


Pop-able brownies are hard to resist. One thinks, "hey, they are the smaller than a regular brownies so it can't hurt to have a few." Well unfortunately that is not the case.
Costco's Kirkland brand brownie bites run you 130 calories a brownie bite and Trader Joe's Brownie bites will cost you 190 calories for 2!

So those adorable little treats turn into a healthy foodie's nightmare.
But have no fear, the black bean is here. 
I was overjoyed when the foodie world discovered a way to make brownies--along with many other treats--healthy by subbing in black beans.

My first attempt were Andes Peppermint Black Bean brownies, and my oh my, were they fudgey, chocolate, minty bliss.


Yet, they still contained flour (still not edible for my gluten free friends), and quite a bit of sugar.
So I did some foodie experimenting and created these delectable, pop-able, 29 cal a piece, brownie bites.

 So go ahead, laugh in Trader Joe's face and eat 4-- you'll only be at 116 cal...

(Gluten free, Dairy Free)

Ingredients:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (~1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 packets truvia (1/4 cup sugar or honey/agave)
1/4 cup honey or agave
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder* updated!
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven 350 F.
Blend all ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender until smooth and creamy.
Non stick a mini muffin tin.
Fill each compartment with  1 tbs of mixture.
Bake for 8 min.
Let cool in pan for 3 min. 
Pop them out of pan by gently tapping back of pan or scooping out with a spoon.

Let cool for another 5 min to allow them to firm up in the center.

Sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar if desired.



ENJOY!!!!

 Nutrition Information
 Serving: 1 cookie
29 cal * 7 carbs * 0g sat fat * 1g protein *1g fiber


2 comments:

  1. Mine came out awful, tasted like baking soda & cocoa powder. Is 2 tsp bs correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!!!! I am sorry! It should be 1/2 tsp!!! I changed that on the recipe! What kind of sweetener did you use? I hope you try them again because they are wonderful!

      Delete