Monday, February 11, 2013

Easy Puff Pastry -NO BUTTER

 

Wow, what an adventure this recipe was. 
I was seriously on the hunt for a flaky, but durable, and healthy pastry dough for days. 
No such luck.

Every blog I read, every thread I browsed,
the response was: use butter or fail.
Luckily for me, and hopefully for you, I am a strong willed and very determined woman so I decided to experiment and make my own. 

My butter replacement: coconut oil! 
(full of good fats, healthy nutrients, and a whole host of other health benefits, google it!)

I pulled directions and tweaked ingredients primarily from 3 blogs: Annie Eats, Lick The Bowl Good, and Smitten Kitten.
 I spent a tedious amount of time making sure everything was going alright, but alas, created my masterpiece;

Yes, 
to me, 
a honorable 
and Healthy feat.

I was so so proud of myself in the end, 
but after that long ordeal I truly felt I could have skipped the 1 hour refrigeration step the pastry bloggers called for.
My dough was very pliable and ready to use by the 3rd turn, but I followed their instruction just to be safe.
But my end result was unworkable, cold dough that I had to put in the oven while it preheated just to get it to roll out.
I don't know if it was because I used coconut oil instead of butter, but if you follow this recipe I left the 1hr in the fridge OUT--less time for you!

The outcome of my delectable dough was a slightly denser (perfect for my durable demand), but quite flaky, buttery tasting, delicious puff pastry.

Give it a whirl--or turn!

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup coconut oil, solid*
1/4 cup ice water
2 tbs milk

 *I broke it down into 16 tbs

Directions:
In a large bowl or food processor, blend/pulse together flour, sugar and salt. Add 4 tbs of coconut oil at a time and pulse until mixture resembles small peas.--You could blend with a pastry blender or 2 forks if you don't have a food processor.

Dump into a large bowl and do a quick swish mix with your hands.
Add 2 tbs of water, and gently mix in with dough. Add 2 tbs milk, and gently min in with dough, add last 2 tbs of water and gently mix in with dough. Dough should still be crumbly but with when pressed together will hold.


Dump dough onto a clean surface. Keep in mind, the dough will be crumbly.


Fraisage dough--quick inward strokes with the palm of your hand.


Mold dough into a ball and Fraisage again. Dough should start to stick to itself.

Mold dough into a 8x4 square and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 30 min.

Once refrigerated, place dough on a lightly floured parchment paper and roll into a rectangle (~ 15x10).


Fold dough lengthwise into thirds.

Starting from the long end, roll up dough up into a coil

Gently roll over coil to connect seams. ~6x5 rectangle: 
Your 1st turn.

Repeat the rolling out,folding, and coiling for a 
2nd and 3rd turn.
 (notice the dough is smoother the 2nd turn)


Dough should be very malleable and smooth at this point and you have two options:


Either start shaping for your recipe or wrap dough in plastic to either set in the fridge until ready to use, or freeze.

Dough bakes well at 350 F.

ENJOY!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this rècipe! I was looking for a vegan puff pastry for the Napoleon cake (mille feuille) and I used almond milk instead of regular milk. It was hard trying to roll out very thin pieces of pastry, but it was worth it. I used coconut/almond milk custard creme as a filling. Wow, the result is amazing. FOr some reason though, I ended up using 3/4 glass of water...and perhaps it could have done with a little bit more, as 1/4 just did not make the dough sticky enough. Never the less, thank you again for the work you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it worked out for you! I would have loved to try that filling you made. Yummy! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete