Monday, January 21, 2013

Cranberry Lemon Scones


Scones are a pastry I did not enjoy until I went to London. 

I would anticipate tea time every day just so we could venture out and find a Patisserie and enjoy some delicious freshly baked tea and scones. 

But I've never attempted to make them myself, and man what was I thinking: They are so easy!


So I had some fresh cranberries and lemon on hand and decided they would be the perfect fit for my first attempt at scones.

I used the methods from an article in the Atlantic: The Secret of the Irish Scone, as well as from the blog skinnytaste, to create a fluffy, golden brown, and healthy-for-you scone. 

Ingredients: 
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup buttermilk 
1/4 cup granulated sugar +3 tsp, divided
1 tbs baking powder
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil*
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 egg white**
2 tbs lemon juice + 1 tsp, divided (fresh or from a container) 
1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped

* I used 3 tbs but I could taste it  in the final product, and feel like maybe 2 will be enough--I'll try that next time and update) 
**If you don't have egg white or don't want to waste a yolk, use milk.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 500 degrees (yes, that high!), place rack in the middle
Line large baking pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix flours, salt, and baking powder, set aside. 
In a smaller bowl, mix buttermilk, sugar, whole egg, vanilla extract, 2 tbs lemon juice and olive oil 
Mix in chopped cranberries into the flour mixture
Slowly add in buttermilk mixture, blending flour mixture the whole time.

Dump dough onto a well floured surface (yes, it will be sticky) and with floured hands kneed dough 3-4 times. 
Place dough onto parchment lined baking sheet and press into 8 inc circle--should be easy now that dough is floured. 

Using dental floss slice dough into 8ths but gently pressing the taught string into the dough. 
Glaze the to of the dough with egg white, 1 tsp of lemon juice and 2 tsp of sugar. 

Place in oven turn oven down to 425 and bake for 15-18 min, until top is golden brown and tester comes out clean. 

Serve warm with Tea, Coffee and or course JAM!



Enjoy!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment