Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Apple Cider Quinoa Salad



I got this recipe from THIS hilarious YouTube video.
The man knew his quinoa and had some tasteful ideas for making a simple extremely versatile quinoa salad.

I was excited and nervous to add the apple cider vinegar.
Vinegar, as many of us know, has a very strong taste, but "would it go well with beans", I questioned. I've never paired them before.
 Alas, "Never fear" I exclaimed after a taking a bite. Apple cider vinegar never ceases to amaze me. 
Besides it having a just enough of a great kick in the mouth taste, it has great health benefits and is so versatile . 
You can read about some HERE

In the end I added some of my own ingredients for my personal taste-black beans-- but as the guy says, you really can use what ever is in your fridge: Clean it out and make a salad.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked*
3 small yellow sweet peppers, chopped
1 cup black beans, rinsed
3-4 small cherry tomatoes, diced
1 small carrot, chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt

* click HERE to find how to cook delicious, fluffy quinoa

Directions:
Place cooked quinoa* in a large bowl or baking dish.
Add olive oil and apple cider vinegar and gently fold into the quinoa.
Add chopped sweet peppers, carrots, black beans, and salt.
Gently fold in tomatoes--not too much or they will get mushy.

* Quinoa can be hot or cold (I made mine in advance and pulled it out of the fridge. DELICIOUS!)

Viola! Done!
Now eat as is, in a pitta, or soup-- I made this for a potluck and many people loved adding it to a soup! So really it works for anything

Again, feel free to add anything you want, I think some purple onion might go nicely, and maybe some cucumber.

ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment