Thursday, December 13, 2012

Simple Coffee Cake



Simple & Sweet 


are the best two words to describe this breakfast treat. 

I love it with coffee...obviously

but my husband who despises the rich dark nectar--I know, I know don't get me started-- LOVES to eat it all by its self....well maybe with a glass of milk :) 

Any-who, he had been asking me to make it for quite sometime and so one fine evening I put it together and when he got home to the smell of cinnamon deliciousness, he was all smiles.

The recipe originally comes from his mother, but I had to make some little adjustments to make it healthy-foodielious. 


Ingredients:

 Cake
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp cinnamon (my husband LOVES the stuff) 
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup milk of choice
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbs butter (you could use applesauce) 

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbs white sugar
1 tsp vanilla

If you want a streusel topping check out my streusel cream cheese coffee cake!
Directions:

Non-stick a 7x11 pan, set aside
Preheat 350


Blend ingredients for topping together and set aside

Mix flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl.

Beat sugar and butter together until creamy.
Next, whip/whisk in egg, vanilla, and milk.

Add dry ingredients into wet and blend until smooth and well combined.

Pour half batter into pan. 
Sprinkle 1/4 of  Topping mixture on top. 
Pour rest of batter on top and spread out rest of the topping over batter. Gently pat down topping to help it set in the batter.

Bake for 30 min or until knife comes out clean. 

Enjoy with some steamy, rich, dark coffee of choice. 





No comments:

Post a Comment