Sunday, December 15, 2013

Chocolate Peppermint Roll




What a treat! And so easy!

 You know I've never made a "roll" before because I had a fear that I was going to mess it up. The whole flipping, rolling, unrolling thing, kinda freaked me out. But boy, am I glad I tried. It was a cinch and really hard to mess up, and if you do, such as get cracks, don't worry that delicious filling you made fills in the cracks. It's amazing.


This roll was inspired from the good ol' pumpkin roll I'm sure many of you saw this past Fall, but I wanted to make this one a little more Christmas-y, thus the peppermint.

Oh, and of course chocolate, everything is always better with chocolate.

On a healthy note, I cut the sugar in half from the original recipe I found on My Baking Addiction (go check out her recipe and photos, they are stunning), used greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and used my flax seed egg replacement* since I was short one egg, and these babies still got rave reviews.



Only thing I would say to be mindful of is the peppermint extract. This stuff is strong! So be careful measuring and feel free to adjust the amount based on personal preference.

Go indulge in some chocolate peppermint heaven.

Ingredients:
CAKE

3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tbs cocoa powder
3 eggs*
1/2 cup  granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup greek yogurt

*If you don't have enough eggs you can mix 2tbs ground flax-seed with 3 tbs water, stir and let sit for 3-5min to make one egg replacement.

FILLING
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
1  cup powdered  sugar
6 tbs butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint 

Directions:
Preheat 375 degrees F.
Line a 15 x 10 pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. set aside
Sprinkle a clean tea towel with 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder,  and salt. Slowly add in eggs, vanilla, sugar and greek yogurt. Mix until well combined. 
Spread batter evenly into prepared pan--It's okay if if the batter doesn't fill the pan, it will expand.

Bake for 13-15 min until top of cake bounces back when touched. Immediately flip cake onto prepared tea towel. Beginning with  narrow end, roll up towel and cake together into a roll and let cool on a wrack for 15-20 min.

To prepare filling, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, and peppermint until smooth.
Carefully unroll cake, remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake  and re-roll cake. Wipe off any excess mixture and wrap and plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.


Slice and enjoy!!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment