Sunday, October 28, 2012

No Yeast- Cinnamon Rolls



Funny story. 


It was my husband's birthday and I know his deep love for cinnamon rolls so I thought as a nice gesture I would wake up early and take the time to make them fresh on the day of his birthday.

Right after that thought things started rolling downhill.

First I realized homemade cinnamon rolls take a long time to bake from scratch and since I wake up at 5:30 am for work waking up at 3 didn't seem the best idea.

Second I noticed every recipe I found called for the use of a stand mixer. Now I love to cook and bake but I actually don't own one! Seriously. Don't get me started on why.

Alight, so things were not too dandy.....until I saw this awesome pre-add for Aldi's saying they were going to have a stand mixer for 29.99!!!!! (insert angles singing)
Okay, now this is nowhere near close to a Kitchen Aid but it was seriously an answer to my prayer. So the mixer went on sale the day before his birthday and it was purchased and set up and ready to be used.

The awesome continued as I was able to find a recipe that claimed 72 min homemade cinnamon rolls. This was a huge time saver and all it called for was triple yeast. No problem...

So I thought.

My husband's birthday rolls around, I wake up at 4:30 am (it was a sacrifice I did not mind making for my husband) start compiling all the ingredients (the blogger stated it was easier to have them all pre measured for times savings sake). However, by the time I reach into my cupboard for the yeast I was all too sure that we had plenty off since my husband just bought it, I only found one measly packet! Apparently it completely slipped my mind that my husband made bread and pizza crust recently which used a good amount of the yeast.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THIS CANT BE HAPPENING!!!!!! " were my thoughts.

5 am rolls around... I feel like a failure....

until I remember pinning a No Yeast Recipe on pinterest months ago....BINGO!!!!!

(THANK YOU PINTEREST and Recipe Girl!!!!)

I scramble, find it, praise GOD and get started.

Now, having no yeast makes for a very sticky dough which was a pain in my tukus to roll and looked like rolled gloop when I put them in my pie pan. But, none the less I was determined, and with another prayer, I put them in the oven.

My resultt?

AMAZING MIRACLE CINNAMON ROLLS. 
Ready by 6:15 and eaten with love.

Happy End.
*P.S. I will be making the yeast ones soon. Keep posted.

Ingredients
Filling:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Dough:
2 cups bread or all-purpose flour, + more for rolling
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten

Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature ( I used 8oz, we like it thick)
2/3 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk or buttermilk

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray. ( I used a pie tin)
2. Prepare the filling: In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients with a fork until a crumbly mixture is formed.
3. Prepare the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Use clean hands (or a pastry blender) to work the butter into the dry ingredients. Add the milk and the egg and stir to combine.
4. Roll the dough out on a floured surface into roughly shaped large rectangle (about 1/4-inch thick). I had to use a LOT OF FLOUR TO ROLL THEM. but I think if you notice dough is too sticky just add more flour to make it workable.
Sprinkle the filling evenly over the surface of the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border all the way around. Carefully roll up the rectangle (the dough will be soft, sticky).
 Use a sharp knife to cut 12 rolls for a muffin tin or 8 for a pie tin.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the frosting: Combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk/buttermilk in a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer to combine. Add a little more milk if you wish to have a thinner frosting. Spread the frosting on top of warm rolls or drizzle on top. Serve warm.

 ENJOY!!!!



Have a funny yeast or non yeast story/catastrophe you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment